Do you need a child support lawyer in Washington State? Contact Envision family law group today to consult with top child support lawyers.

Our dedicated law team has offices in three convenient locations in Washington: Seattle, Tacoma and Bellevue, as well as virtual offices throughout the Puget Sound area. We also serve clients facing spousal support and maintenance issues and other support related issues.

Give Envision Family Law a CALL today (1-888-211-7814)

Child Custody | Domestic Violence | LGBTQ | Unmarried Couples | Divorce

There are several types of “support” addressed by the Court in family law actions. This section covers child support, spousal support, post-secondary (college) support, and support enforcement in general. For more information, please contact our office today and we will get you set up with one of our specialist support lawyers right away.

What does Child Support Cost?

Are you wondering how much child support will cost you? Envision Family Law does not keep anything hidden. Take advantage of Washington State Department of Social and Health Services child support calculator and get a rough estimate of child support cost.

Child Support Guidelines

There is a statutory formula in place to determine child support in the state of Washington. Primary factor being both parents’ net income. If both parents are W-2 wage earners with no additional source of income, determining child support becomes fairly simple. Calculating child support may become complex when the party is unemployed, underemployed, business owner or receives irregular income.

Who pays child support?

Generally, the parent who has less time with the child pays child support.
Child support is mostly a matter of mathematical calculation and the Court prefers parties focus on the mathematical facts/foundation, e.g., no badmouthing. Just facts regarding income and expenses. Your child’s needs are determined by adding the net incomes of you and your spouse, and applying the total to a standard formula.

There are exceptions to using the standard formula. For example, the Court may decrease child support when the paying parent is responsible for supporting children from other relationships. Or, the Court may increase the child support when the paying parent receives additional income. The Court may order no child support if both parents are to share custody equally or provide a residential credit that is based on the number of overnights the paying parent has in one year.

In addition to monthly child support, the paying parent may be required to contribute to other child care expenses. These expenses may include uninsured health and dental costs, day care, and education expenses.

The child support order also addresses tax exemptions and health care insurance coverage.

Child Support Enforcement

How is child support enforced?

To enforce a court order wherein the other parent fails to comply with a support order, you must be able to show the following:

  1. A valid court order.
  2. The other parent must have known of the child support order.
  3. The other parent had the ability to follow the court order.
  4. The other parent failed to follow the court order.

If you demonstrate these things, the other parent may be found in contempt of court and be ordered to pay. If the other parent still refuses to pay, the Court can order jail time in order to coerce payment.
Note:  Child support may be withheld from one parent’s paycheck and sent directly to the other parent.
Note:  Even if a parent is behind on paying child support, he or she may still see or reside with the child as set forth in the parenting plan.

Post-Secondary Support

Have a child getting ready to head off to college? If you want the other parent to contribute to college expenses, typically you must do so before the child turns 18 years of age or graduates high school, whichever is later.

Postsecondary educational support is not mandatory and part of the determination is whether or not post-secondary support is appropriate. The Court considers a number of factors when making a determination to include some of the following:  Age of the child; the child’s needs; the expectations of the parties for their children when the parents were together; the child’s prospects, desires, aptitudes, abilities, or disabilities; the nature of the postsecondary education sought; and the parents’ level of education, standard of living, and current and future resources. Also to be considered are the amount and type of support that the child would have been afforded if the parents had stayed together.

Again, the Court is not mandated to order or require every case to pay for post-secondary support and there are many factors, so please contact our office to help determine if your case is appropriate to proceed with a post-secondary petition.

Kevin Rundle and Andrea LeMoine are a power team of experts that made sure I knew they ...Read More


Jodi Zarling